The Illinois Hires Heroes Consortium (IHHC) is a group of Illinois employers who
recognize the great value veterans bring to the workplace and operationalize the
term "veteran-friendly" by committing to implement military veteran recruitment,
training and retention practices. Members of the Consortium are Illinois employers
who commit to at least three initiatives - one in each aforementioned human
The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) and the Illinois Department of
Employment Security (IDES) will assist participants in meeting the simple goals
that will lead the employer on the path to recruiting and retaining high-quality
Employers can join the Illinois Hires Heroes Consortium by applying at:
If there are any questions, feel free to contact the Illinois Department of Veterans’
Affairs (IDVA) or the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) at:
Consortium Commitment Options
Members commit to at least one initiative in each of the following categories:
1. List job openings on Illinois Job Link and on the Department of Veterans Affairs
(VA) Veterans Employment Center (VEC)
2. List job openings on Illinois Job Link and participate in any of the state
sponsored hiring event or Hiring Heroes events held at various dates throughout
3. List job openings on Illinois Job Link and become an Army Partnership for
Youth Success (PaYS) Partner.
Human Resources Training
4. Participate in the Illinois Department of Employment Security’s training
regarding military-to-civilian skills and lexicon translation. Alternate delivery
5. Participate in the Department of Labor – Veterans Employment and Training
Retention & Support Practices
and highlight, on company media and web-based platforms, veteran
hiring/employment support programs and initiatives on a recognizable tab/page
for quick/efficient access.
program for prior service members.
8. Utilize the Illinois Department of Employment Security, Illinois Department of
Veterans’ Affairs or National Able for post-employment support to assist
veterans overcome their particular challenges.
9. Pay National Guard and Reserve members the differential between their normal
wage and their National Guard wage when they are activated for duty.
IHHC Standards of Use -- For the exclusive use of IHHC Members. Please abide by
the following guidelines to ensure brand integrity and consistency when utilizing the
IHHC Member Logo. For questions, please contact the Illinois Department of
Veterans’ Affairs at (312) 814-3355.