The Illinois Department of Veteransï¿½ Affairs (IDVA) maintains military records on many Illinois veterans. If you are an Illinois native or have ever visited one of our Veteran Service Officers, we may have a copy of your DD 214 on file and can provide you with a certified copy. If your records are not on file with IDVA, our Veteran Service Officers can assist you in requesting a certified copy from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO.
In addition, we assist veterans to:
- Obtain a set of duplicate military awards;
- Acquire copies of their service records and service treatment records;
- Submit discharge document upgrades; and
- Request updates to their DD-214ï¿½s, such as the receipt of a campaign medal after discharge.
IDVA also utilizes military records to assist other state agencies with the following services:
- Confirming veterans preference for state employment
- Validating license plate requests for Illinois veterans
- Authenticating tax exemption certificates
- Furnishing veteran burial certificates
Veterans interested in permanently recording and/or storing their service records e.g. DD 214 for future use should visit one of our Veteran Service Officers. In future instances, visit our local veteran service office and request a copy of your service discharge, certify your existing discharge, and/or apply for federal, state, and local benefits.â€‹â€‹â€‹