Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


  1. Veterans
  2. Programs
  3. Military Records

Military Records


The Illinois Department of Veterans� Affairs (IDVA) maintains military records on many Illinois veterans. If you are an Illinois native or have ever visited one of our Veteran Service Officers, we may have a copy of your DD 214 on file and can provide you with a certified copy. If your records are not on file with IDVA, our Veteran Service Officers can assist you in requesting a certified copy from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO.

In addition, we assist veterans to:

  • Obtain a set of duplicate military awards;
  • Acquire copies of their service records and service treatment records;
  • Submit discharge document upgrades; and
  • Request updates to their DD-214�s, such as the receipt of a campaign medal after discharge.

IDVA also utilizes military records to assist other state agencies with the following services:

  • Confirming veterans preference for state employment
  • Validating license plate requests for Illinois veterans
  • Authenticating tax exemption certificates
  • Furnishing veteran burial certificates

Veterans interested in permanently recording and/or storing their service records e.g. DD 214 for future use should visit one of our Veteran Service Officers. In future instances, visit our local veteran service office and request a copy of your service discharge, certify your existing discharge, and/or apply for federal, state, and local benefits.​​​