Transportation systems are vulnerable to both accidents and terrorist incidents. Travelers should be aware and vigilant. Be well informed and know your surroundings to ensure that you travel safely.
- Report all suspicious parcels, bags, or containers (especially if they are left unattended) to the nearest employee or 9-1-1.
- Take note of fire extinguishers and exits. Read posted safety instructions.
- In an emergency, stay calm. Listen to and follow instructions from transportation or emergency personnel.
- Whenever possible, assist people with special needs, seniors, and small children.
- Only exit the train, subway, airplane, or boat if you are in immediate danger or instructed to do so.
- Subway tracks are dangerous and should be avoided. Never exit the train onto the tracks unless instructed to do so by emergency personnel. Avoid the third rail, which carries a dangerous electrical current.
- Transportation employees are your best source for information.
- Do not use cell phones as they could interfere with emergency communications.
For Additional Information