Application for Illinois Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer's License now online
The Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) has begun accepting license applications for Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer’s Licenses. By law, the license applications must be submitted electronically, and the $75 license fee must be paid electronically using the ACH debit payment method.
Most users can complete the application process in just a matter of minutes. You must submit your Cigarette or Tobacco Products Retailer’s License application and the fee for your license using MyTax Illinois. NOTE: If you are not a current MyTax.Illinois.gov user, click the “Sign up Now!” button to create your account (for full activation information, see the Guide to Creating a MyTax Illinois Account on the IDOR website). Below are the steps for completing the license application:
Applications are generally approved in one to two business days; after which your license will be mailed to you. Once issued, licenses are viewable under the "Letters" tab in your MyTax.Illinois.gov account.
- Log into your MyTax.Illinois.gov account and click the link in the sidebar to “Register for New Tax Accounts” in the I Want To section on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down the page to Cigarette and Tobacco Licenses, check the appropriate box for the license type (Cigarettes or Tobacco Products), and then check the “Retail” box for that license type. Note that the law allows a Cigarette Retailer’s License holder to sell both cigarettes and other tobacco products at retail but does not allow a Tobacco Products Retailer’s License holder to sell cigarettes at retail (a Tobacco Products Retailer’s License holder can only sell other tobacco products at retail, not cigarettes). Finally, enter a date occurring on or after January 1, 2016, to indicate when you will begin making these retail sales and click “OK.”
- Next, for Cigarette/Tobacco Locations, you must enter the address of each location where you will sell cigarettes or other tobacco products at retail. Click “Add a Cigarette/Tobacco Location” to enter a record of the address and license type for each location. When you have entered records for all locations, click “OK” (Note: Some users may now show an error under "Step1, Owners & Officers Individuals" which must be corrected before you can complete the license application). In Step 1, complete all required fields, including “Ownership Percentage.” Note that for C corporations, Subchapter S corporations, Partnerships, LLC’s, and Trusts, you must provide all required information for the president, secretary, and treasurer. Any entity type must have complete owner/officer/member/trustee/partnership with ownership percentage to complete the application.
- Under Make Payment, complete all information to submit an ACH debit payment and then click “OK.” You cannot change the amount of the payment. It will populate the fields for you based on the number of licenses you request on your application.
- For Preparer, enter all required information to identify the person submitting the license application and then click “OK.”
- Finally, to submit your license application, click the “Submit” button at the top of the page. You must enter your MyTax Illinois password to complete the application process. You will be directed to a confirmation screen indicating you have completed the application. We recommend you either print this confirmation screen or note the confirmation number in your records.