The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has implemented, through provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), incentive payments to eligible professionals (EP) and eligible hospitals (EH), including critical access hospitals (CAHs), participating in Medicare and Medicaid programs that are meaningful users of certified Electronic Health Record (EHR) technology. The incentive payments are not a reimbursement, but are intended to encourage EPs and EHs to adopt, implement, or upgrade certified EHR technology and use it in a meaningful manner.
The Illinois Promoting Interoperability Program for Medicaid (eMIPP) will provide incentive payments to eligible professionals, eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology.
The Promoting Interoperability Program is voluntarily offered by individual states and territories, and can begin in 2011 once the state has a CMS approved infrastructure in place to manage the program. The program will continue until 2021. The last year a Medicaid provider may begin participation in the program is 2016.
Promoting Interoperability Program Audits
How to Sign Up
As a provider, it is important to understand the steps required to ensure successful receipt of EHR incentive payments:
- Provider registers at the Federal CMS Registration and Attestation website
- Provider selects either Medicare or Medicaid as the program they wish to apply to
- For providers selecting Medicaid, provider selects which state they want to apply to
- HFS receives provider registration from Federal CMS for providers selecting Illinois Medicaid
- Provider logs into the Illinois eMIPP using their assigned CMS Registration Number
- If the provider is in good standing, then the provider can complete the eMIPP attestation; otherwise, they will be notified via popup messages of any eligibility issues
- HFS staff conducts review of the provider attestation to determine eligibility
- If eligible, the provider is issued the incentive payment (to be paid within 45 days from date of approval by HFS)
Use the navigation below to get started, or follow the guidelines provided in the Promoting Interoperability Program Illinois Toolkit
Step 1 – Understand the Path to Payment