Medically Fragile, Technology Dependent Children
Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS), the State Medicaid Agency
University of Illinois at Chicago – Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC)
Individuals under the age of 21 who, because of the severity of their physical illness or disability would require the level of care appropriate to a hospital or skilled nursing facility without the support of the services provided under the waiver. As of May 1, 2017, the waiver can now cover participants of all ages as long as the child was enrolled in the waiver program prior to his or her 21st birthday. This amendment to the waiver allows participants to stay with the Home Care Program for life.
· Under the age of 21 at time of application
· U.S. citizen or legal alien
· Resident of residing in the State of Illinois
· Resides with family or legally responsible adult(s) in a private residence
· Requires level of care appropriate to a hospital or skilled nursing facility
· Meets the minimum score on the Illinois approved Level of Care (LOC) tool
· Estimated cost to the State of Illinois is less than estimated cost for institutional care
How to Access Services
· Call DSCC at (800) 322-3722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
· Complete an online application or print application to be completed by hand at https://dscc.uic.edu/how-we-help/how-to-apply/
· Mail or drop off application completed by hand to your regional Specialized Care for Children office. Regional Specialized Care for Children offices can be located at http://dscc.uic.edu/find-an-office/
· Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
· Environmental Accessibility Adaptations
· Family Training
· In-Home Shift Nursing for adults over age 21
· Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) for adults over age 21
· Nurse Training
· Placement Maintenance Counseling Services
Respite: Physician-prescribed service provided by qualified licensed nurses and certified nurse aides in the participant’s home or in a Children’s Community-Based Health Care Center Model.
Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies: Provision of physician-prescribed equipment or supplies needed to maintain a participant in the home and the coverage of operational and maintenance costs of equipment, not otherwise available through the State Plan or through other third party liability.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): Physician prescribed services provided to adults (age 21 and over) that focuses on long -term habilitative needs rather than short-term acute restorative needs.
Environmental Accessibility Adaptations: Physical adaptations to the home or family vehicle required by the participant’s Person Centered Plan, which are necessary to ensure the health, welfare and safety of the participant, or which enable participant to function with greater independence in the home or community, and without which, the participant would require institutionalization. This may also include extermination services.
Family Training: For purposes of this service, family is defined as the persons who live with or provide care (does not include persons employed to care for participant) to a person served on the waiver. Training includes instruction about treatment regimens and use of equipment specified in the plan of care and shall include updates as necessary to safely maintain the participant at home.
In-Home Shift Nursing : Physician prescribed service provided by licensed RNs and LPNs to adults (age 21 and over) that require hourly shift nursing to perform a specific task rather than intermittent visits.
Nurse Training: Provides up to four (4) hours per nurse per year of child specific training in the use of new or unique prescribed equipment, or special care needs of the child.
Placement Maintenance Counseling Services: Physician-prescribed short-term, issue-specific family or individual counseling for the purpose of maintaining the participant in the home.
Medicaid Agency Contact Information
HFS Bureau of Long Term Care
1915(c) Home and Community-Based Waiver Administration Section
Phone: (217) 524-4148