The application process for the 2016-2017 class of James H. Dunn, Jr. Memorial Fellows is done completely online.
The deadline for applications is February 29 , 2016 at midnight (12:00am CST). Supplemental documents such as transcripts and letters of recommendation will be accepted until close of business on Thursday, March 10 , 2016.
The following documents are necessary for your application to be considered:
- Completed Application
- Completed Personal Cover Letter
- Completed Policy Essay
- A copy of the applicant's official or unofficial academic transcript
- A minimum of 2 letters of recommendation: one from an academic source and one from a professional source (please limit yourself to a maximum of 3 letters)
A resume or curriculum vitae can be provided as a supplement in addition to the above documents
The applications and any other supplementary documents will be sent to
This is where the applicant will send the application, personal cover letter, policy essay, academic transcript (official or unofficial) as well as any other necessary documents (resume, CV, etc.) all attached in one e-mail with the subject line "[Last Name] [First Name] Dunn Fellowship Application Documents"
This is also the address that the applicant will supply to their academic and professional references as the destination for any and all letters of recommendation (signed and saved as a .pdf) with the applicant’s first and last name appearing in the subject line.
- Download the Dunn Fellowship Application 2016 and fill out completely
Note: please do not copy and paste your attached resume or CV into the application fields
Save this document as "[Last Name] [First Name] Dunn Application"
A .pdf copy of the Dunn Fellowship Application Instructions is also available.
- Compose a personalized cover letter addressing the James H. Dunn Fellowship Selection Team. In the header, please include your first and last name and note the date of composition.
In the cover letter please address the following questions:
- Why do you feel you would be a good candidate for the Dunn Fellowship?
- How does the Fellowship fit into your professional aspirations and career goals?
- What will you contribute to the Office of the Governor?
Please limit your letter to 500 words or less
Save this document as "[Last Name] [First Name] Dunn Personal Cover Letter"
- Compose a policy essay that addresses the prompt below. In the header, please include your first and last name and note the date of composition.
Please identify and analyze a public policy issue that you feel has a great impact on the future well-being of State of Illinois. State the issue clearly and provide your opinion on a practical solution. Include facts and supporting arguments.
Please limit your essay to 1,000 words or less
Save this document as "[Last Name] [First Name] Dunn Policy Essay"
- Attach a PDF copy of your academic transcript (official or unofficial)
Please note: an official academic transcript reflecting graduation date and type of degree conferred will be needed in order for an official offer of employment to be given
The applicant may choose to attach an updated resume or curriculum vitae if they feel it adds value to their application
Send the above documents to GOV.DunnFellowshipApp@illinois.gov
The documents will only be accepted if they are all attached and titled correctly with the subject line "[Last Name] [First Name] Dunn Fellowship Application Documents"
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants are to instruct their references to send a signed and scanned copy of their letters of recommendation to GOV.DunnFellowshipApp@illinois.gov with the applicant’s first and last name in the subject line.
Questions & Concerns
If you have further questions about the James H. Dunn, Jr. Memorial Fellowship, please contact Alex Caton, Dunn Fellow to the Chief of Staff at (312) 814-5969 or Alexander.Caton@illinois.gov