Public Accommodations Complainant Information Sheet (CIS)
This form is available in "PDF" format. Viewing "PDF" files requires Acrobat Reader.
For a free download of Acrobat Reader, click here.
Please fax OR mail the signed form, but DO NOT do BOTH.
The Illinois Department of Human Rights investigates charges of Public Accommodations discrimination filed against:
- A business, recreation, lodging, entertainment, or transportation facility.
- A public official.
- A place of education.
Prohibited Public Accommodations Actions
The Illinois Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination in several public settings, for example:
- A place of public accommodation: To deny or refuse the full and equal enjoyment of facilities, goods and services.
- A public official: To deny or refuse the full and equal enjoyment of the services or facilities under the official's care.
- A place of education: To refuse to enroll, allow access to facilities, goods or services; or engage in or fail to take corrective action to stop severe or pervasive harassment.
Types Of Discrimination Covered
- Sexual Harassment
- National Origin
- Military Status
- Age - (40 and over)
- Order of Protection Status
- Disability - (physical and mental)
- Marital Status
- Sexual Orientation - (including gender-related identity)
- Pregnancy - (including child birth, or related medical or common conditions)
- Unfavorable Military Discharge
- Retaliation - (for opposing unlawful discrimination)
- Coercion / Aiding and Abetting - (helping or forcing a person to commit unlawful discrimination)
What The Department Cannot Do
The Department cannot investigate Public Accommodations charges:
- Based on political affiliations, personality conflicts, etc., unless such actions are alleged to be discriminatory for one or more of the reasons listed above.
- Alleging unfair actions within prison facilities because they are not places of public accommodations.
- Against places of education related to curriculum content or course offerings.
- Against the Federal Government or Federal Officials.
To File A Charge
Submit a completed Public Accommodations Complainant Information Sheet (CIS) either in person or by mail. If your allegations are covered under the Illinois Human Rights Act, a charge will be drafter for your signature. A charge of Public Accomodations discrimination must be filed within 180 days of the alleged discrimination.
- You may contact one of our offices directly:
100 West Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(FAX - Administration)
(FAX - Charge Processing)
222 South College
Springfield, IL 62704
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(217) 785-5106 (FAX)