Western Illinois Regional Council Community Action Agency to begin accepting applications
The Western Illinois Regional Council-Community Action Agency (WIRC) will serve as the interim local provider for Program Year 2018. WIRC will begin taking applications on December 19, 2017 at 1048 E. Losey St, Galesburg.
Those who meet the above criteria for priority assistance can begin scheduling appointments on December 11, 2017 by calling (309) 837-2997. Appointments are required for all applicants. Additionally, members of WIRC are available to answer any questions or concerns at the above number immediately.
Applicants must bring the following required documentation when applying for assistance:
- Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the previous 30-day income period, including the day of application
- A copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days
- If applicant is renting, a copy of the rental agreement is required to verify utilities included, monthly rent and landlord contact information
- If applicant has received assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services, proof of TANF or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or SNAP, is required
All other eligible low-income households can call (309) 837-2997 beginning January 15th to schedule appointments for after January 22nd.
The previous provider in the area was suspended by the Department on November 7, 2017 for failing to fulfill their obligation to the people of Illinois. The Department has been working diligently to designate another provider to administer this much-needed service. The Department continues to work alongside utility providers like Ameren to ensure minimum disruptions in services, and all LIHEAP recipients within the area will be served.
LIHEAP is a state and federally funded energy assistance program that provides one-time benefits to income eligible households to help with winter energy bills and for reconnection of energy service. LIHEAP applications are processed through a network of local administering agencies around the state. The program is administered by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), Office of Community Assistance.
For additional information about the program, go to www.liheapIllinois.com, or call the LIHEAP Hotline at 1 877 411-9276.