Featured Articles

  1. Article number 1 - Revolving fund
  2. Article number 2 - Buildings
  3. Article number 3 - Water treatment
  4. Article number 4 - Emergency Repairs
  •  water tower imageRevolving fund

    Are you a unit of local government that needs additional financing to complete the design phase of a new construction project?
  •  Guys in front of projectBuildings

    Does your water treatment plant need upgraded or repaired?
  •  water plantWater treatment

    Local governments may request grant funding for final design engineering of large scale water or sewer system projects.
  •  water pumpEmergency Repairs

    Has a disaster created an emergency need for repairs or replacement of public infrastructure?   Click on the Emergency Public Infrastructure link to the right to learn how grant funds could help you recover.


  1. DCEO
  2. Community Services
  3. Community Infrastructure

Community Development

The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program was established by the U.S. Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 ("HCD Act").  In 1981, Congress amended the HCD Act to allow states to directly administer the CDBG program for small cities, and the Governor designated the Department of Commerce as the agency with direct oversight.  The Office of Community Development administers the CDBG program.  The mission of this program is to assist Illinois communities that do not receive a HUD direct entitlement allocation with meeting their greatest economic and community development needs.     

The Community Development Block Grant Program consists of the following components.   You can find more information by clicking on the links located on the right side of the page.

  • Public Infrastructure – Local governments that need to improve public infrastructure and eliminate conditions detrimental to public health, safety, and public welfare may request a maximum of $450,000.00 to undertake projects designed to alleviate these conditions, with an emphasis on helping communities with substantial low to moderate-income populations.

  • Housing Rehabilitation Program:  Through the Housing Rehabilitation program, low-to-moderate income communities can apply for grants to improve housing and rehabilitate and retrofit properties.   A maximum of $450,000 in grant funds or $45,000 per household is available to improve the homes of low-to-moderate income residents of owner occupied single family housing units.   Grants help provide residents with safe and sanitary living conditions and help to stabilize neighborhoods and affordable housing in the community.

  • Economic Development – Through the Economic Development grant opportunity, local governments may request a maximum of  $750,000.00 for gap financing to assist businesses locating or expanding in the community.

  • Critical Assistance – Communities may apply for a maximum of $200,000.00 in funding to undertake projects that address an emergency or a particular urgency requiring immediate assistance to eliminate conditions detrimental to health, safety, and public welfare.

  • Revolving Fund – Since 1983, the Department of Commerce has awarded approximately $140 million in Community Development Assistance Program (CDAP) Economic Development grants to more than 180 local units of government throughout the state to help them provide financial assistance to businesses locating or expanding within their boundaries. As financial assistance projects are repaid, the communities place the moneys in locally-administered Revolving Funds (RFs)