The BCCS Enterprise Email Network provides electronic capability and worldwide connectivity inside and outside State government. The network enables over 53,000 end users who work across multiple agencies, boards, and commissions under the authority of the Governor to send, receive and store email. Roughly 10 million electronic mail messages are delivered each month. BCCS processes an average of 500 requests for new accounts on a monthly basis.
An average of 62% of messages received per month is SPAM. One percent of the messages received per month are blocked for virus reasons. Both the SPAM and the virus email messages are prevented from entering the email system by an enterprise class filtering solution. A file transfer utility is also included as part of the service providing a secure method for sharing confidential data and larger files among email customers.
Calendaring is an essential component of the service allowing people to coordinate and plan events and meetings across this large and diverse population.
Personal Information Management (PIM) Standards provide a centralized and consolidated platform that enables a statewide common PIM architecture, establishes common service levels, provides for consistent provisioning of email accounts and enables administrative efficiencies.
The PIM Standards initiative includes the transition to a standard Illinois.gov email address (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org) for all state agencies, the creation of a Unified Directory, and the centralization of current email platforms. This statewide initiative has provided a number of benefits and features to customers: a platform for seamless inter-agency email collaboration; a common email address and directory; group and individual calendaring; and consistent service levels and email provisioning across all agencies. The PIM Standards initiative is ongoing. The process for the migration to illinois.gov email addresses and integration with the Unified Directory has been straightforward and is being assisted by BCCS employees.
|Standard Usage Fee
||Per Email Box per Month
* For more information on BCCS Service Rates please contact Ted.Hasara@illinois.gov
- Mailboxes hosted by CMS-managed Microsoft Exchange high availability servers
- Enterprise mail routing, SPAM filtering, and virus protection
- Microsoft Outlook Client software
- Calendaring and scheduling
- Enterprise email archiving
- Webmail access
- Standard disaster recovery
- File transfer utility
- Email journaling (all email transmitted in the Enterprise Email System is kept for one year for investigative purposes)
- Illinois.gov email address and a Statewide Unified Directory
- As part of the centralized email environment, access is available through State-owned mobile devices.
Enterprise Email Archive Vault:
BCCS provides an Enterprise Email Archive Vault to manage email at no additional cost to the customer. Enterprise Email Archive Vault automatically archives items from your mailbox. Older email and their attachments and calendar item attachments are moved to the Vault, which can easily be searched to view or retrieve an item that has been archived. This solution keeps older items out of mailboxes in order to minimize and manage mailbox size. Some of the advantages of this solution are:
- Provides secure centralized storage and retrieval in a managed replicated environment
- Provides full indexing and search capability via robust search engines
- Eliminates the need for Microsoft legacy archiving methods
- Reduces Tier 1 storage costs by reducing the mailbox sizes and eliminating the archives stored on network servers
You can help manage costs for Email Service by adopting the following practices:
- Clean out your mailbox on a regular basis - detach attachments to your personal network drive.
- Don't use email as a document storage solution.
- Archive your email on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis.
- Explore alternative ways (such as the File Transfer Utility) to transfer large files that require significant bandwidth to send and receive (movies, design files, etc.).
- Refrain from sending large files to multiple users if possible.