Qualifications to qualify as a K-12 School Group the following criteria must be met:
- A school group must originate from a state-accredited public or private school serving any grades of K-12 and be recognized by the state’s department of education
- Students must represent an academic class for which they receive a grade
- Students are accompanied by a teacher(s) employed by the school district
- The school principal will have signed the ALPLM School Admission Form acknowledging his/her knowledge and approval of the field trip
- All K-12 school groups must include the required number of chaperones based on the museum’s 1:10 ratio (1 chaperone per 10 students)
All groups of 15 or more—regardless of age—must reserve a tour date through the Springfield Convention and Visitor’s Bureau (SCVB). Return the completed Student/Youth Group Reservation Request Form by email or postal mail. You will receive a confirmation by postal mail. Please be advised that the volume of requests for ALPLM tours will affect the processing time.
Groups of fewer than 15 should contact Genevieve Kaplan at Genevieve.Kaplan@illinois.gov at the Museum to schedule a tour.
All K-12 school groups must include the required number of chaperones based on the museum’s 1:10 ratio of 1 chaperone per 10 students. Example: 40 students require 4 chaperones; 45 students require 5 chaperones. Failure to comply with this policy may result in the school being turned away. Chaperone Policy
June through February all K-12 school groups reserving through SCVB or Carol Manning will receive free admission to the museum. Allotted chaperones based on the 1:10 teacher/student-ratio will also be free, as well as accompanying classroom aides and bus drivers. Any chaperone over the 1:10 ratio will be charged regular adult admission at the door as the ALPLM does not invoice for additional chaperones.
In March, April, and May there is a $4 fee per student. Allotted chaperones, classroom aides, and bus drivers will be admitted free. Any chaperone over the 1:10 ratio will be charged regular adult admission.