Qualifications to qualify as a K-12 School Group the following criteria must be met:
- A school group must originate from a state-accredited public or private school serving any grades of K-12 and be recognized by the state’s department of education
- Students must represent an academic class for which they receive a grade
- Students are accompanied by a teacher(s) employed by the school district
- The school principal will have signed the ALPLM School Admission Form acknowledging his/her knowledge and approval of the field trip
- All K-12 school groups must include the required number of chaperones based on the museum’s 1:10 ratio (1 chaperone per 10 students)
All groups of 15 or more—regardless of age—must reserve a tour date through the Springfield Convention and Visitor’s Bureau (SCVB). You will receive a confirmation by email. Please be advised that the volume of requests for ALPLM tours will affect the processing time.
Groups of fewer than 15 should contact Tonya Lacy at Tonya.Lacy@illinois.gov at the Museum to schedule a tour.
All K-12 school groups must include the required number of chaperones based on the museum’s 1:10 ratio of 1 chaperone per 10 students. Example: 40 students require 4 chaperones; 45 students require 5 chaperones. Failure to comply with this policy may result in the school being turned away. Chaperone Policy
June through February all K-12 school groups reserving through SCVB or Betsy O'Brien will receive free admission to the museum. Allotted chaperones based on the 1:10 teacher/student-ratio will also be free, as well as accompanying classroom aides and bus drivers. Any chaperone over the 1:10 ratio will be charged regular adult admission at the door as the ALPLM does not invoice for additional chaperones.
In March, April, and May there is a $4 fee per student. Allotted chaperones, classroom aides, and bus drivers will be admitted free. Any chaperone over the 1:10 ratio will be charged regular adult admission.