SHIP Volunteer Counselor Job Description
Under the direction of the SHIP Program Director, the coordinator is responsible for the administrative aspects of their SHIP unit, which includes recruiting volunteers, publicizing SHIP services in their area, and serving as a liaison between their sponsoring agency and the Illinois Department on Aging. The coordinator oversees the counselors and responds to their needs and inquiries.
- Satisfactorily complete the initial SHIP training session.
- Affiliated with a SHIP sponsoring organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct individual health insurance counseling sessions that are completely confidential to the client.
- Assist with Medicare and Medicare supplement health insurance claims filing.
- Serve as an advocate for SHIP clients.
- Willing to contribute 8 to 10 hours per month counseling SHIP clients.
- Complete a counseling report for each counseling session and submitting these reports to a coordinator at the end of each month.
- Provide health insurance counseling without conflict of interest. A SHIP counselor cannot be affiliated with the insurance industry or insurance claims filing business to the extent that serving as a SHIP volunteer could be used for personal and financial gain.
- A SHIP counselor cannot recommend a specific insurance company or policy.
- Attend ongoing education programs or meetings.
- Elect to talk to community groups about SHIP or information pertinent to senior health insurance issues, at own discretion.
(Revised June 2015)