SHIP Volunteer Coordinator Job Description
Under the direction of the SHIP Program Director, the coordinator is responsible for the administrative aspects of their SHIP unit, which includes recruiting volunteers, publicizing SHIP services in their area, and serving as a liaison between their sponsoring agency and the Illinois Department on Aging. The coordinator oversees the counselors and responds to their needs and inquiries.
- Prefer background in community service.
- Prefer background and/or experience in volunteer administration.
- Ability to supervise and work with older persons and volunteers.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit volunteers to serve as SHIP counselors.
- Attend initial SHIP training, ongoing education meetings and other meetings pertinent to program goals.
- Serve as the publicist for SHIP unit.
- Schedule counseling sessions between SHIP clients and counselors.
- Promote speaking engagements on SHIP and senior health insurance issues.
- Act as a liaison between SHIP Program Director and the counselors.
- Maintain updated list of certified counselors within their unit.
- Collect Client Contact Forms and SHIP Public and Media Activity Forms and mail to SHIP Program Director on a monthly basis.
- Meet with counselors on a regular basis to discuss counseling activities and update information on health insurance issues for seniors.
- Disseminate information provided by the Illinois Department of Insurance to counselors.
- Evaluate effectiveness of procedures and SHIP unit activities and confer with SHIP Program Director.
- Issue reports to accommodate the administrative and program needs specified by SHIP.
- Attend coordinator meeting(s) with SHIP staff.
- Agree to the terms outlined in the annual Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
(Revised June 2015) SHIP