Executive Order Number 09-18 (PDF, 129 KB)
Amendment to Executive Order 13 (2009) Establishing the Economic Recovery Commission
WHEREAS, Executive Order 13 (2009) created the Economic Recovery Advisory Commission (“Commission”); and
WHEREAS, the purpose of the Commission was to address how the State of Illinois can respond to the current downturn in the economy and ensure long-term economic stability; and
WHEREAS, the unemployment rate and decline in the state’s revenue continue to adversely impact Illinois families and businesses;
THEREFORE, I, Patrick J. Quinn, Governor of Illinois, pursuant to the authority vested in me by Article V of the Illinois State Constitution of 1970, hereby amend Executive Order 13 (2009) to read as follows:
There is hereby created the Economic Recovery Commission (hereinafter “Commission”) as an independent advisory body having the duties set forth in this document, with respect to the Office of the Governor.
In pursuit of the goals of encouraging economic growth, decreasing unemployment, attracting new business enterprises, strengthening existing business enterprises, and ensuring long-term economic stability, the Commission shall:
- Conduct a wide-ranging study of policies, enacted elsewhere in the United States and the rest of the world, that allow for rapid economic recovery;
- Analyze Illinois’ existing tax and regulatory structure, with the aim of identifying opportunities to enhance the economic climate for business and job creation;
- Provide independent, nonpartisan information, analysis, and advice to the Governor, as he formulates and implements his plans for economic recovery;
- At the request of the Governor or at the initiation of the Commission, provide the Governor with updates regarding the Commission’s work and preliminary findings;
- Submit to the Governor and to the People of Illinois, not later than March 31, 2010, a final report outlining the Commission’s findings and recommendations of policies to promote the growth of Illinois’ economy and ensure competitiveness in a 21st century economy; and
- Ensure, with the logistical assistance of the Office of the Governor, that the report and recommendations of the Commission are available to the public.
The Commission shall be composed of Chairpeople and Commission members to be appointed by the Governor. Members of the Commission shall serve without compensation.
In addition to whatever policies or procedures it may adopt, all operations of the Commission will be subject to the provisions of the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 140/1 et seq.) and the Illinois Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/1 et seq.). This section shall not be construed so as to preclude other statutes from applying to the Commission and its activities.
- EFFECTIVE DATE
This Order shall take effect immediately upon its execution.
Issued by Governor: August 7, 2009
Filed with Secretary of State: August 7, 2009