Executive Order Number 09-12 (PDF, 90 KB)
Establishment of the Admissions Review Commission
WHEREAS, fairness and transparency in the administration of an educational system is a fundamental aspect of the public trust; and
WHEREAS, as Governor of the State of Illinois, it is my duty to ensure the fair and equitable treatment of candidates for admission to the various State Universities; and
WHEREAS, allegations of preferential treatment and undue influence have been raised with respect to the admissions process of the University of Illinois; and
WHEREAS, an independent commission is necessary to consider and recommend improvements to the practices and policies governing the admission of applicants to State Universities; and
THEREFORE, I, Patrick J. Quinn, Governor of Illinois, pursuant to the authority vested in me by Article V of the Illinois State Constitution of 1970, hereby order as follows:
There is hereby created the Admissions Review Commission (hereinafter the "Commission") as an independent advisory body having the duties set forth in this document, with respect to the Office of the Governor.
The purpose of the Commission is to review State University admissions practices and policies and to make recommendations as to any reforms that would improve the fairness and transparency of the admissions process. The Commission shall:
- Examine and evaluate the standards and criteria used to evaluate applicants for admission;
- Examine and evaluate any practices and policies, and the impact thereof, of affording applicants favorable consideration based on relationships with, or advocacy by, appointed or elected public officials, or persons affiliated with such officials;
- Examine and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of State University admissions practices and policies, taking into account, among other factors, the “best practices” of other selective university systems;
- Review and consider the investigative findings of the Office of the Governor, Office of General Counsel regarding State University admissions practices and policies; and
- Submit, no later than August 8, 2009, a written report outlining its examination and evaluation, and making recommendations to the People of Illinois and to the Governor for improving the fairness and transparency of University admissions processes.
- The Commission shall be composed of a Chairperson and six (6) independent members, for a total membership of seven (7) Commission members. The Chairperson and the Commission members shall be appointed by the Governor. The Chairperson and the Commission members shall serve without compensation.
- The term of the Commission members shall terminate on August 8, 2009
- The Commission shall function as an independent advisory body, with the discretion to arrange its affairs and proceedings in the manner it deems appropriate.
- The Commission may, at its discretion, appoint individuals to serve as staff persons.
In addition to whatever policies or procedures it may adopt, all operations of the Commission will be subject to the provisions of the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 140/1 et seq.) and the Illinois Open Meetings Act (5 ILCS 120/1 et seq.). This section shall not be construed so as to preclude other statutes from applying to the Commission and its activities.
- EFFECTIVE DATE
This Order shall take effect immediately upon its execution.
Issued by Governor: June 10, 2009
Filed with Secretary of State: June 10, 2009