NUMBER 13 (2004)
WHEREAS, the Executive Protection Unit, as operated by the Illinois State Police, should receive the most sophisticated training available and exhibit the highest levels of professionalism; and
WHEREAS, the Executive Protection Unit should operate under a Code of Conduct governing professionalism, training, and on-the-job behavior.
THEREFORE, I hereby order:
- SECRET SERVICE TRAINING
- All current and future members of the Executive Protection Unit must undergo training as provided by the United States Secret Service.
- Such training should be accomplished within a reasonable time after the effective date of this Executive Order but should not compromise the security functions and duties of the Executive Protection Unit.
- NEW CODE OF CONDUCT
- The Director of the Illinois State Police shall issue a new Code of Conduct for the Executive Protection Unit. The Code shall address training requirements, on-the-job behavior, and other relevant elements of security detail professionalism.
- The Code should be specific in nature and give clear guidance to Unit members regarding prohibited activities. Members of the Executive Protection Unit shall strictly adhere to the Code.
- The Code shall provide a mechanism for reporting instances of Unit member’s misconduct to the Illinois State Police, Office of Internal Affairs.
- The Code should be drafted and issued within 90 days of the effective date of this Executive Order.
- OTHER RIGHTS
- The rights of the employees and the State under the Personnel Code and applicable collective bargaining agreements or under any pension retirement or annuity plan shall not be affected by the Executive Order.
If any provision of this Executive Order or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, this invalidity does not affect any other provision or application of this Executive Order which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application. To achieve this purpose, the provisions of this Executive Order are declared to be severable.
- EFFECTIVE DATE
This Executive Order shall become effective immediately.
Rod R. Blagojevich, Governor
Issued by Governor: December 2, 2004
Filed with Secretary of State: __________, 2004