The Tourism/Recreation News section provides access to all State of Illinois press releases that have been published about state tourism and issues relating to vacation and recreation opportunities within the state.
- 07/10/2014 - Governor Quinn Announces Record-Breaking Visitors to Illinois in 2013
CHICAGO – Governor Pat Quinn today announced that Illinois had its third consecutive record-breaking year for tourism by welcoming nearly 105.7 million visitors in 2013. The Governor made the announcement during a visit with Chloe Stirling at the Kendall College Culinary Camp in Chicago where the 12-year-old entrepreneur is perfecting her baking skills along with other young culinary students. Today’s event is part of Governor Quinn’s agenda to increase tourism, create jobs and drive economic development throughout Illinois.
- 06/13/2014 - IDNR Launches “State Parks, Great Parks” Initiative
SPRINGFIELD – Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Director Marc Miller today officially launched a new initiative aimed at using dedicated funds to make Illinois state parks great parks. During the last year, the agency has been using new sustainability funds to hire more staff and replace aging maintenance equipment at state parks. The “State Parks, Great Parks” initiative will continue the effort to rebuild the Illinois State Park System this summer with infrastructure improvements throughout Illinois.
- 06/11/2014 - Statement from IDNR Director Marc Miller on American Black Bear Sightings
“The recent sighting of an American black bear in northwest Illinois has, understandably, generated many questions. While these animals once roamed the Illinois landscape 150 years ago, seeing one today can be, at the very least, a startling sight. While the black bear sighted most recently has shown no aggressive behavior towards humans, it should not be approached. Help us keep this bear from being accustomed to people. Always observe wildlife from a distance.
- 05/06/2014 - Governor Quinn, IDNR Tout International Migratory Bird Day, Illinois Spring Bird Count on Saturday, May 10
- 04/30/2014 - Governor Quinn Announces Third Consecutive Year of Record-Breaking Statewide Tourism Numbers
- 04/30/2014 - Illinois Conservation Police arrest three in Carlyle Lake Duck Poaching Case
- 04/08/2014 - IDNR Announces New Management for Eagle Creek Golf Course
- 03/28/2014 - Director Miller Welcomes Newest Illinois Conservation Police Class