The Tourism/Recreation News section provides access to all State of Illinois press releases that have been published about state tourism and issues relating to vacation and recreation opportunities within the state.
- 06/27/2016 - Visitors to Starved Rock Should Watch for Crowd Updates on Social Media over Holiday Weekend
UTICA, IL – Travelers planning a trip to Starved Rock State Park near Utica over the Fourth of July weekend are asked to stay informed on park crowds by monitoring Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Facebook and Twitter feeds. During the Memorial Day weekend, the park received 94,000 visitors, pushing the park to capacity and causing a temporary closure when parking lots overflowed.
- 06/24/2016 - IDNR, State Fire Marshal Urge Public to Leave Fireworks Displays to Those Who Are Licensed and Trained
SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) are reminding organizations and individuals sponsoring fireworks displays in Illinois to be sure their fireworks vendor has the required state licenses and certificates issued by the IDNR and the OSFM prior to their fireworks show.
- 06/20/2016 - Street Machine Nationals Invade The Du Quoin State Fairgrounds
DU QUOIN, IL. -- The General Tire Street Machine Nationals kicks off the summer at the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds with the annual “Ultimate Picnic of Power.” Don’t miss out as southern Illinois roars to life June 24-26th with the sights and sounds of big block engines, high-performance street machines, hot rods, street trucks and the best dream machines from across the nation.
- 06/08/2016 - Two Incredible Acts Added To 2016 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand Lineup
- 05/31/2016 - Illinois State Museum Will Re-launch July 2
- 05/27/2016 - IDNR Announces Summer Urban Fishing Clinics
- 05/16/2016 - 2016 Grandstand Tickets Go On Sale Saturday
- 04/29/2016 - Du Quoin State Fair Announces First Grandstand Performers of 2016