The Tourism/Recreation News section provides access to all State of Illinois press releases that have been published about state tourism and issues relating to vacation and recreation opportunities within the state.
- 09/15/2014 - Biologists Conclude Second Year of IDNR Osprey Recovery Project
SPRINGFIELD, IL – Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) biologists are wrapping up the second summer of a long-term project to re-establish the osprey as a nesting species in the state. The osprey is listed as an Illinois state-endangered species, meaning it is at risk of disappearing as a breeding species. While the osprey often is seen during spring and fall migration, few remain in Illinois to nest. Birds from Joint Base Langley-Eustis in Virginia are brought to Illinois to be released at Anderson Lake in Fulton County and Lake Shelbyville in Moultrie County.
- 09/08/2014 - IDNR Explores Hiring Concessionaire to Manage World Shooting and Recreational Complex
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is exploring the possibility of hiring a concessionaire to operate the World Shooting and Recreational Complex (WSRC) near Sparta. The Department has posted a Request for Information (RFI) at: http://tinyurl.com/SpartaRFI. The purpose of issuing the RFI is to seek ideas to shape a business plan that will allow the complex to achieve its full potential. The RFI is the precursor to a formal Request for a Proposal which asks potential vendors to submit bids.
- 08/11/2014 - Veterans’ Day at the Illinois State Fair Great Success for Thousands
Springfield -- The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA), in cooperation with the Illinois Department of Agriculture and the Illinois State Fair, hosted veterans and their family members to a great day at the State Fair – admission free – on Sunday, Aug. 10, 2014, with a surprise visit by Governor Pat Quinn, Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka and other elected and appointed officials to veteran-centric events.
- 08/08/2014 - Illinois EPA Features Interactive Exhibit at State Fair’s Conservation World
- 08/01/2014 - Governor Quinn Signs Law to Reduce Fishing and Hunting License Fees for Older Adults
- 07/31/2014 - Fishing, Wildlife, Dog Shows, Free Entertainment and Smokey Bear Highlight Youth and Family Fun at Conservation World during Illinois State Fair
- 07/10/2014 - Governor Quinn Announces Record-Breaking Visitors to Illinois in 2013
- 06/13/2014 - IDNR Launches “State Parks, Great Parks” Initiative