The Health/Human Services News section provides access to all State of Illinois press releases that have been published relating to health and welfare for the people of Illinois, with issues ranging from prevention, to services, programs, and health announcements.
- 06/09/2016 - Illinois Department of Public Health Safety Tips for Heat
SPRINGFIELD - With high temperatures expected over the next couple of days, Illinois Department of Public Health Director Nirav D. Shah, M.D., J.D. is urging Illinoisans to take preventive actions to avoid heat-related illness like heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- 06/07/2016 - Illinois Department of Public Health Prepares for a Public Health Emergency
SPRINGFIELD – Next week, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) will test the ability of the state public health system to receive and distribute medicine and medical supplies during a public health emergency. In the event of an emergency severe enough to cause local medical supplies to run out (terrorist attack, flu outbreak, earthquake, etc.), the State can request what is called the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS). The SNS is a national repository of antibiotics, chemical antidotes, antitoxins, life-support medications, airway maintenance supplies, and medical/surgical items. The SNS is designed to supplement and re-supply state and local public health agencies in the event of a national emergency.
- 06/02/2016 - Consumer Advice For Recalled Flour Linked To Multistate E. coli Outbreak
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), other states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate a multistate outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O121 (STEC O121) infections. Thirty-eight people in 20 states, including four in Illinois, have been infected with the E. coli strain. The four individuals live in Chicago, suburban-Cook, Brown, and McHenry counties. There have been no deaths.
- 05/31/2016 - Watch Out For Rabid Bats And Animals
- 05/26/2016 - State agencies pledge to share data to provide better services to Illinoisans
- 05/26/2016 - Illinois Urges Caution While Recreating in Illinois Lakes or Rivers with Blue-Green Algae
- 05/26/2016 - First Bird In Illinois Tests Positive For West Nile Virus In 2016
- 05/11/2016 - State of Illinois Honors the Promotion of Access, Independence and Opportunity for People with Disabilities