The Health/Human Services News section provides access to all State of Illinois press releases that have been published relating to health and welfare for the people of Illinois, with issues ranging from prevention, to services, programs, and health announcements.
- 02/26/2015 - IDHS helps more than 5,000 individuals with disabilities find jobs
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois – More people with disabilities are finding jobs with help from a special program operated by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS). The Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) program helped 5,291 individuals with significant disabilities find gainful employment in 2014. This figure represents a 5.1 percent increase over the number achieved in the same time period last fiscal year.
- 02/09/2015 - FOID Mental Health Reporting System Receives Thousands of Reports in First Year
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) today announced nearly 1,300 clinicians and other health professionals have registered with the Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) Mental Health Reporting System. The Firearm Concealed Carry Act (PA 98-063) passed in 2013 requires a variety of clinicians and other health professionals to report patients who they believe pose a “clear and present danger” to themselves or others. The definition of “clear and present danger” was clarified and the number of health professionals required to report was expanded under the law.
- 02/06/2015 - Illinois Department of Public Health Confirms 6 Cases of Measles in Illinois
SPRINGFIELD – Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Director Nirav D. Shah, M.D., J.D., is confirming six cases of measles in Illinois. The first case was a Cook County resident who became ill in late January. The remaining five cases are associated with a KinderCare Learning Center in Palatine in Cook County. Health officials will continue to investigate the source of the disease, identify and follow-up with anyone who may have potentially been exposed, and be vigilant for new cases.
- 02/05/2015 - Statement from Public Health Officials in Illinois and Cook County
- 01/28/2015 - IDHS reminds eligible workers to take advantage of free tax help and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- 01/27/2015 - One Confirmed Case of Measles in Illinois
- 01/10/2015 - Governor Quinn Announces $400 Million in Affordable Care Act Funding to Support Illinois Hospitals
- 12/30/2014 - Governor Quinn Announces More Than 121,000 People Sign-up for Healthcare in First Month of Open Enrollment