113 South Washington Street, Mount Pulaski
Jan-Dec: Tue-Sat 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Other tour times by appointment
Mount Pulaski Courthouse was built in 1848 and served as the Logan County seat of government until 1855. Attorney Abraham Lincoln regularly argued cases in the second-floor courtroom, helping to establish his reputation as both an accomplished practitioner of the law and a gifted speaker. After the county seat was moved to Lincoln in 1855, the former courthouse was used as a city hall, school, and post office. In 1935 the state purchased the building and began efforts to “restore” it to an 1850s appearance.
The two-story brick Greek Revival building stands at the center of the Mount Pulaski public square. The first floor, divided by a hallway, contains six rooms representing county offices; the second floor houses a courtroom, jury room, and judge’s chambers. The grounds are beautifully shaded by large trees. In 1978 the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Visitors to Mount Pulaski Courthouse are provided guided tours of the recreated county offices and courtroom. The building is not accessible to persons with disabilities. On a panel behind the building are photos of the interior and an outline history.