For all current department news events, you can also visit us on Facebook by clicking on the Facebook link at the top of this page.
- Illinois Department of Human Rights
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 from 9:00AM to NOON
Recommended for Managers & Employees - In today's society, it is estimated that 60% of women are the primary or co-breadwinners of their household. Most women continue after they become pregnant because they need to work and they can work. Yet expectant women continue to face inequality in the workplace and pregnancy discrimination complaints continue to rise.
As of January 1, 2015, Illinois law prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth and medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth. There is also similar protection under federal law. Compliance with the new law is mandatory and employers need to understand how to comply.
(March 17, 2015)
- The Department of Central Management Services and the Interagency Committee on Employees with Disabilities (ICED) will offer two free webinars on special programs for people with disabilities in regards to state employment. The webinars are free and open to the public. Everyone is welcome. The two webinars are scheduled for March 17th, one in the morning beginning at 10:30 a.m., and the second in the afternoon, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
(March 17, 2015)
- IDHR features Merri Dee as guest speaker for Women's History Month
Chicago broadcasting legend and beloved media maven Merri Dee will join the Illinois Department of Human Rights as a featured guest speaker in celebration of Women's History Month, March 12th at 12:00 noon. Join us for a power-hour of inspiration, motivation and celebration as we honor Merri Dee for her many accomplishments. A special book signing will immediately follow Ms. Dee's presentation.
(March 12, 2015)
See Photos from the event.
- The Interagency Committee on Employees with Disabilities (ICED) opened the nomination period for its 2015 Awards Program. Picture here at the 2014 Awards Ceremony are Jaci DeBrun (left), of the Department of Central Management Services' Successful Disability (SD) Opportunities program, and Lieutenant Christy White, Illinois State Police EEO/AA Officer, who was honored for participation in the SD program. Nominations in the following catefories will be accepted until April 15, 2015:
Employee, Agency, Business/Non-Profit,
Media, Advocate, and Legislator.
Forms can be returned to:
222 South College, Room 101
Springfield, Illinois 62704
OR emailed to Susan Allen OR faxed to Susan Allen at (217) 785-5106.
The Awards Ceremony will be held at 2:00 p.m. on May 19, 2015, in the Historic Preservation Agency's Great Room in Springfield. The event is open to the public. ICED, co-chaired by Department of Human Rights Acting Director Rocco Claps, and DHS Acting Secretary Melissa A. Wright, serves to promote access, independence, and opportunities for employees with disabilities in Illinois state government.
- "From Slavery to the White House" is a riveting stage play, written by Crystal "Phoenix" Tyler, which takes audience members on a trip down memory land through history. Join IDHR for a brief stage reading of this play AND a discussion with writer Crystal "Phoenix" Tyler.
2nd floor, Room 2-025 of the James R. Thompson Center, Wednesday, February 11, 2015 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM (CST).
You may bring a brown bag lunch to this location. This event is free. See Photos of the event.