Illinois Startup Collaboratives
- In the Chicago-area alone, more than 550 companies operate R&D facilities, many on the cusp of new discoveries in a number of high-tech fields including:
- Illinois is positioned as a national leader in science and technology R&D by virtue of its world-class research-based universities, prestigious national labs including:
- Argonne National Laboratory – One of the nation’s leading federal research laboratories, focused on advanced materials, chemical/energy technology and biotechnology.
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory – Leads the nation in high-energy physics research.
- Northwestern University – Institute for Nanotechnology and Center for Nanofabrication and Molecular Self-Assembly.
- University of Chicago – Home to the James Franck Institute, which focuses research on non-equilibrium phenomena, phase transitions, superconductivity, chemical kinetics, molecular beams, laser spectroscopy, surface phenomena, semiconductors, polymer physics and chemistry, and dynamical systems.
- University of Illinois – Home to the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, which specializes in molecular and electronic nanostructures, and nano-electronics and bio-photonics. It is also home to the Center for Nanoscale Chemical-Electrical-Mechanical Manufacturing Systems (Nano-CEMMS).
- Illinois is home to several state-of-the-art international research centers and institutes, and innovation-driven startups and corporations including: