The transportation of motion picture equipment into Illinois is governed by the regulations of both the Illinois Department of Transportation (for overweight and oversize vehicles) and the Secretary of State (intrastate/interstate reciprocity and trip permits).
Department of Transportation size and weight limitations in Illinois:
- 5-axle combination: 80,000 lbs. or 73,280 lbs. on non-designated roads
- Single axle: 20,000 lbs. or 18,000 lbs. on non-designated roads
- Tandem axle: 34,000 lbs. or 32,000 lbs. on non-designated roads
- Width: 8 feet 6 inches or 8 feet on non-designated roads
- Height: 13 feet 6 inches
- No length restrictions on designated roads or
- 55 feet maximum length on non-designated roads
- 53 feet on semi-trailers on all state highways
EXCEPTION: For semi-trailers longer than 48 feet, the maximum kingpin to rear axle distance is 42 feet 6 inches.
Size and weight road maps are available through Illinois Film Office or Illinois Department of Transportation. Minor changes to the above size and weight limitations may occur.
For more information on permits and routing for oversize and overweight vehicles, contact:
Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
2300 South Dirksen Parkway
Springfield, Illinois 62764
Questions pertaining to licensing and permitting of commercial vehicles operating in interstate/intrastate commerce should be directed to:
Illinois Secretary of State (SOS)
Commercial and Farm Truck Division
300 Howlett Building
Springfield, Illinois 62756