The Technology, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship Specialty (TIES) services are provided through the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Network. Illinois SBDC TIES staff helps entrepreneurs and small businesses commercialize new ideas into innovative products, services, and business models. Client projects range from early stage, pre-revenue concepts to established business operations generating cash flow.
TIES staff engage clients in multiple ways. Staff provides one-on-one business advice to clients, team up with other SBDC staff to assist clients, and refer clients to other service providers. These providers may include: other tech-based companies, industry associations, tech vendors, the investment community, intellectual property attorneys, and universities and colleges that provide outreach services. This includes an excellent network of Illinois-based expertise for assisting entrepreneurs and small businesses.
TIES staff provide services and training to help clients:
- Assess the product, service, and/or business model concepts; including “go-no go” analysis.
- Pursue early stage product development and access prototyping labs (e.g., http://www.eigerlab.org/)
- Evaluate intellectual property strategies; including patent filings.
- Raise early stage capital.
- Conduct customer & market research.
- Develop business models and plans.
- Network with other companies and individuals as possible collaborators, customers, investors, partners, and vendors.
- Pursue federal research and development funding opportunities through programs like SBIR/STTR.
Currently TIES services are provided at five Illinois SBDC offices (Carbondale, Champaign-Urbana, Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford). Click here to find the SBDC TIES office nearest you.
To find out more about SBDC TIES, call (1-800-252-2923) or