The Language Interpretation service provides a means for customers to accept and respond to calls from non-English speaking clients or constituents via a live operator. Following the activation of an interpretation account, the customer can contact the contracted interpretation service vendor to conference an interpreter into a call therefore allowing all parties to communicate effectively. Agency personnel can address and respond to questions from Illinois residents who do not speak English. This can facilitate the resolution of language problems and issues that occur.
CCS telecommunications services are available to all state agencies, boards, commissions, universities, offices of the Illinois House and Senate, and Constitutional Officers.
|All Interpreted Languages
What is Included?
- Personal interpreters available to communicate in 150 languages (Language List)
- 24 x 7 x 365 service availability
- Each call is billed on a per-minute rate based
- Vendor-provided reference guides, multilingual phonetic tools, and client services guides are provided to customers with established client accounts
- Supportive documentation including guidelines for use, suggestions for better communication through interpreters, dialing instructions, and web-based reporting information
What Should You Expect?
- Connection to a live agent interpreter every time a call is placed to a vendor
- Connection to a live agent interpreter of specified language within one minute or less of initial contact by the requester
- Ordering services are performed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- CSC Communications Systems Specialists (CSS) are dedicated to providing price quotations and low-cost alternatives, clarifying order information, monitoring order status, and updating billing information. They also help with the analysis and development of the appropriate product and service mix to fulfill specific short and long term customer needs
- Integrated ordering, inventory, and billing in a shared database that's accessible to customer Telecom Coordinators to enable service order tracking, usage reporting and billing review. Customer Telecom Coordinators also receive automatic Service Bulletins announcing changes in equipment offerings, price, and procurement procedures.
- Automated agency billing included in monthly call detail provided by CMS Business Services
- A single point of contact for reporting and monitoring repair and maintenance issues through successful resolution.
- Coordination of training in the efficient use of products and services
How Can You Help?
Calls are billed on a per-minute basis. Therefore, in order to maximize the interpretation services:
- Interpreters may need to verify the exact meaning of slang, dialect, and regional inferences used by the caller so do not expect word-for-word translation. Languages differ in structure and the ways of expressing ideas. More or less words are sometimes needed to express the same idea.
- Callers will be asked to specify the language needed or they may request assistance in determining the specific language needed.
- Please have your assigned access code when placing calls
- Briefly inform the interpreter about the nature of the call
- Use short sentences, speak distinctly and avoid using a speakerphone
- Pause at the end of each complete thought to allow for interpretation
- Avoid compound questions by asking one question at a time
- Speak in "first person". Avoid "he said/she said"
- Perform a routine review of billing for errors, underutilized service, special features and equipment
- Provide a designated agency contact and related contact information for BCCS to interface with when needed
- Perform an annual reconciliation to insure accurate assignment