Many energy efficiency options, such as improved air sealing, insulation and the use of Energy Star appliances, help reduce energy use year round. Keep Cool Illinois provides information on easy ways to save money, energy efficiency audits, and grant programs (for both businesses and families).
Tips for Saving Money and Staying Cool
- Read the Summer Home Energy Savings Guide
- Ceiling fans help your air conditioner move cool air around the house.
- Turn off the air conditioning and open your windows on cooler evenings or in mild weather.
- Window fans work well when the sun goes down.
- Close your shades to block out the sun's heat during the daytime.
- Set your thermostat up by 5 degrees when leaving home for more than 3 hours. Dialing up your thermostat can save up to 10% on your air conditioning bill.
- Whenever a light bulb burns out, replace it with a compact fluorescent light bulb.
- Set your refrigerator to keep your food at 38 degrees. Don't let the food compartment get too cold; it will freeze your fruits and vegetables and waste energy.
- Keep your air conditioning duct vents clean and clear. Don't block the cool air from getting to you.
- Hot water shouldn't be too hot. Have your water heater set no higher than 120 degrees. Water hotter than 120 degress can be dangerous and cause burns.
- Use your exhaust fans whenever you are in the bathroom. Showers can create excess moisture that will lead to mold or mildew. Also be sure to use the exhaust fan in the kitchen when cooking.
- Don't store things in your furnace room. They could be a fire hazard.
- Find information about cost-saving tools and techniques.
- View the summer guide to saving energy.
Internet-based Information Sources
How Do You Use Energy?
It's probably no surprise that the largest share of energy consumed around the home is used to heat and cool the air around you. If you had to pick one place to start saving energy, lowering your heating and cooling bills would make sense. But there are other areas where savings can be found, including conserving hot water and using efficient lights and appliances.
The Problem of Energy Waste
Reducing energy use without sacrifing your comfort saves you money and is good for the environment. Every time you save electricity or natural gas you reduce pollution. With energy conservation, you save money and the environment!